Friday, January 27, 2012

An "Ode" to Disability...or rather, a LOATHE to Disability.

Today is the 24th day after my surgery. Today is also the day I decided to call Disability to check the status of my claim. Or rather, to find out when I would be receiving my first check.

I would like to note that during my last surgery, my first payment did not get to me until after my 8th week of being out of work. EIGHT weeks since my surgery was the FIRST time I was paid. Why, you ask? They stated that they did not receive the Employer Section of my paperwork. The same Employer Section that was faxed along with ALL the other items of paperwork. But I digress.

After finally being connected to the idiot that picked up my call after 10 minutes of waiting (the other two times I tried calling over the last week my call was automatically disconnected after hearing a recording that said, "All call center representatives are busy at this time. Please try again later." Click.) who seemed to have an attitude as soon as I gave my Social Security Number, I was told AGAIN that they were waiting on my Employer Section. The SAME section that was faxed ONCE AGAIN along with aaaaallllllllllll the other forms the day after my surgery.

I have no words.

Is this a joke?

I told this asshole that in all honesty, I could not even believe what I was hearing being that 7 months ago I was on Disability for the first time in my life, and was told the exact same thing...when it was a blatant LIE. This was now the second time I was ever on Disability and now the second time I was told my Employer Section was missing.

Now, I just need to ask. Is this only my life? I find it nearly impossible to believe that these kinds of things could only happen to me over and over again. Could it just be coincidence that one particular page in my packet of paperwork that was all faxed at the same time went mysteriously missing for the second time? I just can't seem to wrap  my head around this possibility.

Is it incompetence? Is it a conspiracy on Disability's part in order to delay paying? What would happen if I never called? Never receive the money OWED to me? I just don't understand.

Sometimes I just feel like it's not enough to be blessed with the curse of having Cancer. It's like everything that goes along with "living" while you're going through having the disease makes it almost impossible for you to survive it with a little sanity.

If you need to find me, I'll be talking to an inanimate object in my padded cell.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. Apparently in the "great" State of Georgia, there is no such thing as mandated temporary disability. I have been out of work since Oct. 13th, and can't do anything to get any sort of income. My employer cancelled my health-insurance, and the bills continue to mount. In order to even begin to receive Disability, I have to have a prognosis that will render me completely unable to work for another nine months. It is completely ridiculous that we PAY money into this system, and then have to jump through hoops and cut through mile upon mile of red tape to get any of it when we need it most. In my case, it is a HEAD INJURY! There is no specific timetable that says, "Hey... It will only take X amount of days until you are healed."

    ReplyDelete