Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Little Story of Faith.

As I celebrated my 27th birthday on Saturday, 12/17, I couldn't help but feel a sense of Faith because of something that recently happened to me. On my way home from work on Friday, 12/16, my good friend asked me to stop by her work because she had something she's been meaning to give to me. When I arrived she pulled out a small bag with a small pendant in it. She told me a mutual friend of ours gave it to her to give to me. As she explained what it was and what it meant, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

For those who know me well, you know I'm not a very religious person. I do believe there is a God - a Higher Power. I pray. I believe He watches over us and I pray for my loved ones and myself. But I would consider myself more spiritual then religious. I don't attend church, I don't read the Bible, I don't believe that if you commit a small sin that you sit in Purgatory for however long it takes to get up to Heaven. I feel that if you are really a good person, God will know. However, I couldn't help but be in slight awe of what I was holding in my hand.

The pendant in my palm was passed along to me by someone who has been through quite enough trials and tribulations that it's hard to believe he wouldn't want to keep it for himself. This pendant was blessed by Mother Teresa herself - and so was he.

How incredible is that? The woman was Canonized as a SAINT for crying out loud. The very meaning of the canonization of a saint is that the Pope, the Supreme authority in the Catholic Church, declares that a person practiced heroic virtue and lived in fidelity to God's grace, is with God in Heaven and is to be venerated throughout the whole Church. It's crazy when you think about it.

Just the idea that someone who really doesn't need to think nor care about anyone's problems but his own - to give up something so meaningful and just Awesome. How selfless for someone to give it to someone else because they feel that person needs it more then them. It's just amazing and I was completely honored to receive it.

It's really comforting to know that good people who put others before themselves still exist in the world. I know most people wouldn't want to give something that was blessed by a Saint to someone else to keep...especially when they could use the blessing for themselves. It's that kind of spirit that really makes you think about the true meaning of this time of the year.

Happy Holiday's, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment