Saturday, December 31, 2011

See ya, 2011...Hello 2012!

As the end of 2011 draws near, I can't help but think to myself, GOOD RIDDANCE. Each year comes with it's up and downs but for me, I feel as though 2011 was one big slippery, slimy, unsatisfactory ride down. I'm hoping that the start of a new year will bring the start of some good/positive things.

On that note, I'd like to reflect on the good that is in my life. This year has brought along some positive things as well as the not-so-great. New friends, the rekindling of old ones, family, a deeper respect for those that help to make the world a better place and I guess a deeper respect for myself.

This year above all, I've come to learn that when faced with traumatic issues, there are always people - whether you know them or not - willing to lend a supportive hand. It's crazy. The amount of kind gestures and words of encouragement that surrounded me this year is something I will never forget. It always surprises me when people take the time to express their emotions for someone they barely know.

We watch the news, look out our windows, at work, at school, in the home...their are negative things happening around the world at all times. Sometimes you get so caught up in the bad that you forget there is still good out there. This year has shown me there are many kind souls still left in the world and that maybe we should stop focusing so much on all the bad.

Bad things are going to happen constantly throughout life - but hey, that's life, no? If everything was great all the time we would never be able to realize that maybe we should be thankful for what we do have - instead of what we don't.

Don't get me wrong - I'd still like to live in a bigger house, make a more comfortable salary, not have to worry if Cancer's ugliness will be staring me down once again...but maybe I shouldn't worry so much about the little things. About the person driving 20 miles under the speed limit in front of me. About the line at the store that wraps around the building. About that friend of a friend of a friend whose 47 minute story could've been told in a matter of 2.8 minutes.

Maybe we should look at the "bad" little things that annoy us every day as a way of whatever force is out there, telling us to slow down and just realize that this is your life. You've only got one of it. Why not try to enjoy it and make the most of it?

I could've done without most of the events that took place in 2011 but I could only hope that 2012 has some better things in store. And if not...if this year will be a repeat of last year, then at least I know I can handle it. I've faced many of life's emotional let-downs this year and had no problem telling them to fuck off. I guess I could have the same mentality this year...

To all my friends, family, readers...have a Safe, Healthy, Happy New Year and I look forward to sharing more of life's experiences - both good and bad - with all of you in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin. I've had you on my mind. It's good to read your upbeat, no-nonsense writing here. You know you're like a bright light shining the way for all of us, to look to what matters and not what doesn't. You have such a healthy sense of life. You're going to be okay! Thank you for being you. God bless ya.

    ReplyDelete